The oculoplastic unit leads the diagnosis and treatment for pathologies devised in the periocular area, mainly eyelids, and the upper two thirds of the face. This ophthalmologic subspecialty covers three different areas: orbit, oculoplastic and lacrimal ducts. From the medical point of view, we can differentiate its range of action in pathological processes and aesthetic surgery.
PERIOCULAR PLASTIC SURGERY:
In the oculoplastic surgery unit we put within your reach medical and surgical procedures aimed at rejuvenating and enhancing patients facial appearance.
We believe that the oculoplastic surgeon is the right specialist for this type of procedure because the oculoplastic surgeon combines the knowledge in ophthalmology with an extensive training in plastic surgery and aesthetic treatments which are indispensable requirements to achieve satisfactory and safe results.
All of our procedures are performed on an outpatient basis and with minimally invasive techniques, which reduces recovery time after treatment.
Aging and aesthetic treatments
As the years go by the appearance of our face varies due to changes in the skin and the loss of volume and facial tissues descent. Eyebrows lower, excess skin on the upper eyelid or puffiness and under eye dark circles, along with wrinkles and expression lines (on the forehead, brow, lips or "crow's feet") are some of the signs that evidence the process of facial aging and the sun damage accumulated on our skin.
The goal of periocular plastic surgery is to achieve a clear, fresh and rejuvenating look in a totally natural way, without changing the expression of the face.
Although the best known procedure is blepharoplasty, there are many other surgical procedures that help us enhance our appearance.
Aesthetic eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty is performed when there is an excess of skin or fat bags around the eyes.
Blepharoplasty in the upper eyelids corrects the excess skin and fat by making incisions on the natural folds of the skin so they will not be visible after surgery. In the lower eyelids the aim is to eliminate the annoying bags or dark circles by reducing or shaping the palpebral fat through the conjunctiva, without skin incisions or scars.
This way we eliminate the tiredness face expression and provide a more healthy and rejuvenated appearance.
This surgery is done on an outpatient basis with local anesthesia and mild sedation, which facilitates a quick and painless recovery, so the patient can get back his or her daily activities as soon as possible.
There are multiple procedures that, associated with blepharoplasty, improve and enhance results. Our specialist is the right professional to evaluate your case and inform you about the most appropriate treatment plan for you in order to obtain an optimal result.
If you have questions related to specific procedures or the combined treatments available, consult our specialist, your doubts will be resolved and you will be provided with all the information you need.
The frequency of palpebral pathology present in the daily ophthalmology consultation is high, although it is frequently underestimated by the nonexistence of an oculoplastic surgeon. These are some of the most frequent problems on eyelids and periocular area.
Correction of an inappropriate position of upper and / or lower eyelids:
- Ptosis palpebral
- Entropion / Ectropion
- Eyelash Retraction
- Loose eyelid syndrome
YELID LESIONS AND TUMOURS:
Procedures for palpebral tumour extraction include biopsy and flaw reconstruction by simple repair or by the creation of flaps and implants in order to recover the anatomical function and achieve the best aesthetic result possible:
- Benign: Papilloma, xanthelasmas, syringomas, molluscum...
- Malignant: Basal Cell Carcinoma, Epidermoid Ca., Melanoma...
PALPEBRAL AND PERIOCULAR RECONSTRUCCTION:
Preoperative valuation and surgical procedures which aim to regain the functionality of eyelid structures and achieve optimum aesthetic results:
- Facial paralysis: Lagophthalmos correction, paralytic ectropion and associated ocular pathology.
- Minor corrections to traumatisms, burns, tumours, motor paralysis, degenerative diseases, malformations, etc.
- Treatment of benign essential medical and surgical blepharospasm.
- Correction of scars.
Anophthalmic socket treatment for orbital reconstruction and correct adaptation of ocular prosthesis:
- Evisceration and Enucleation
- Placement of integrated orbital implants
- Anophthalmic socket reconstruction for ocular prosthesis adaptation
- Anophthalmic socket aesthetic repair for volume correction, ocular prosthesis position, etc. by means of dermal-fat grafts, liposculpture, etc.
Use of the patient's own fat through abdominal area liposuction, process of the fat and reinjection in areas to be treated in order to correct:
- Volume defects for aesthetic correction or treatment of fat atrophy due to problems arising from degenerative diseases, HIV lipoatrophy, trauma or unsatisfactory plastic surgery correction.
- Correction of scars
-Anophthalmic socket treatment
Tearing is one of the main causes of ophthalmologic consultation together with dry eye. The availability of a lacrimal duct unit guarantees the patient the correct diagnosis and treatment of the epiphora.
OBSTRUCTIONS AND STENOSIS:
Correction of narrowing or obstruction of the lacrimal duct at different levels. We bring the experience of minimally invasive endoscopic surgery in all existing procedures:
- Congenital obstruction of the lacrimal duct:
* Lacrimal duct catheterization, lacrimal duct dilation, pediatric DCR...
- Puncta lacrimalia and canaliculi:
* Punctoplasty, neoformation of lacrimal points, catheterization...
* Canaliculoplasty, catheterization...
- Lacrimal sac:
* Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR):
** Minimally invasive endoscopic surgery
- Complete obstruction of the lacrimal system:
* Lester-Jones Tubes, Conjunctivorhinostomy
LACRIMAL DUCT RECONSTRUCTION:
Lacrimal duct alteration repair from minor to trauma, cicatrizing diseases and oncological processes. These conditions require specialized individualized evaluation and generally surgical reconstructions using devices and implants.
LACRIMAL DUCT TUMOURS:
Diagnóstico y tratamiento de lesiones y raros tumores derivados de las vías lagrimales.
Even though rare, thyroid orbitopathy makes up almost 80% of orbital pathology and an important synergy with endocrinology.
ORBITOPATHY ASSOCIATED TO THYROID:
- Medical treatment of the disease in active phase:
* Steroids and biological therapies (monoclonal antibodies) through intravenous treatment
- Repair treatment of sequelae in non-active phase:
* Orbital decompression by micro incision: bone or fat decompression
* Restrictive strabismus surgery
* Upper and lower eyelid retraction surgery.
Evaluation and treatment of non-specific orbital inflammations associated with systemic diseases: amyloidosis, sarcoidosis...
TUMOURAL PATHOLOGY AND CYSTS:
Orbitotomies and orbital biopsy through minimally invasive microsurgery of orbital lesions of the different anatomical structures of the orbit:
- Vascular, connective, epithelial and bone tumours, lymphomas...
- Lacrimal gland tomours, muscular system, nervous...
- Cystic lesions and malformations
Reconstrucción de órbita secundaria a fracturas orbitarias, procesos oncológicos, malformaciones congénitas… Requiere evaluación individualizada especializada y es frecuente la realización de cirugía con uso de materiales de osteosíntesis e implantes.